Thursday, May 18, 2006

John Jakle

Jeanne's brother John is a West Hollywood artist and I wanted to share some of his work (click here). He did the Ravenswan movie poster, which someday will surely be some kind of collector's item - we only ever printed ten of them.

I can critique film, TV, theatre and the odd piece of music or literature, but I don't feel justified in critiquing art of the canvas sort. I do, however, know that I like Johnny's work immensely.

The feeling is mutual, as Johnny loved Ravenswan - he hooked into Bill Gundry's Gavin in a big way...which is sorta weird, if you ask me. When he was asked to do a Ravenswan poster, he quickly accepted.

But when I started telling him how I wanted the piece to look and what information it needed to convey , he was having none of it. My desire was to have (perhaps predictably) all four characters represented on the piece, but he refused. He was going to do it, and he was going to do it his way, and that was that (although he did include my "Leave Your Baggage at the Door" tagline). His attitude, while frustrating at the time, was in hindsight intensely admirable.

I was both bowled over and perplexed by his finished work. It's not like any other movie poster I've seen, which seemed a plus. It may never sell tickets or DVDs, but it certainly doesn't look like a piece of nonsensical advertising, photoshopped-and-cobbled-together on a computer, like some type of "and then wacky consequences - via the minds of Poe & Wilde - ensued" affair.

His poster pleased me, as does his other work. Most of the pieces in the above gallery are subway-poster sized; expansive, all encompassing stuff - impressive to stand back about 10 feet and stare at.

If you know anyone who'd pay these prices, don't hesitate to let me know...and he will do commissioned work.